Christ Church, Newton, is Part of the Diocese of Newark
Christ Church, Newton, is a member parish of the Diocese of Newark, New Jersey, which is, in turn, part of the Episcopal Church in the United States. The Diocese was established in 1874, 100 years after the founding of Christ Church Newton.
It was in 1785 that the Diocese of New Jersey—albeit without a bishop for the time being—was organized, and its first convention was held in July of that year at Christ Church, New Brunswick, New Jersey. Uzal Ogden—gone now from Christ Church, Newton—was one of four clergymen elected to represent the diocese at the General Convention in Philadelphia in September (Stowe, 7).
The diocese functioned without a bishop for its first thirty years, remaining dependent, for confirmations and other episcopal acts, on bishops of neighboring dioceses—generally William White, Diocese of Pennsylvania, and Benjamin Moore and John Henry Hobart of the Diocese of New York Stowe, 7).
The Diocese of New Jersey took in the entire state until the creation of the Diocese of Northern New Jersey in 1874, renamed the Diocese of Newark in 1886.
Diocesan headquarters are located in Newark, New Jersey.
The Right Reverend Mark Beckwith was consecrated as the Bishop of the Diocese of Newark in September, 2006.